Risk Control & Compliance Officer
Reports To: General Counsel
The primary function of the Risk Control & Compliance Officer is to oversee and manage compliance within the organization, ensuring that the company and its employees comply with the established policies and procedures of the company and by the organization’s agents, vendors and service providers. The Risk Control & Compliance Officer will act as staff to the Managing Director and General Counsel by monitoring and reporting internal audit results of the compliance and ethics efforts of the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include but are not limited to the following activities:
- Develop an understanding of Excelerate’s processes, risks, and occasions for continuous auditing through research and interview with subject matter expert colleagues.
- Monitor the performance of the compliance program and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
- Work with the General Counsel to update policies and procedures addressing compliance with international laws and conventions, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act to ensure relevance in guiding management and employees.
- Execute a proactive plan of spot checks of company operations and records to find potential policy violations.
- Cultivate comprehensive recommendations for improvements to controls and business processes.
- Responsible for reporting violations of compliance and potential risks.
- Collaborate with other departments to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Consult with general counsel as needed to resolve investigations and corrective actions on matters related to legal compliance issues.
- Respond to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standards of conduct by evaluating or recommending the initiation of investigative procedures.
- Act as the principal point of contact in all investigations.
- Assist in the remediation of findings related to internal and external audits.
- Develop and oversee a system for uniform handling of ethics violations and investigations.
- Support and foster a culture that encourages managers and employees to report suspected fraud and other improprieties without retaliation.
- Confront difficult issues and challenges when necessary with strong negotiating and conflict resolution skills, communicating with diplomacy and tact.
- Report on a regular basis and, as directed or requested, keep the senior management team informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
- Provide direction and manage the ethics hotline.
- Investigate and respond to anonymous reports to the hotline of unethical, illegal or irresponsible activities.
- Coordinate with the Human Resource department to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees and ongoing training for all employees and managers.
Qualifications & Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in auditing, compliance and ethics issues, internal audit
- Display personal and professional integrity, maturity
- Assertive communication skills
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance processes and procedures.
- Proven track record of identifying, solving and preventing compliance issues.
- Self-starter with the ability to build smooth working relationships across all business functions.