Manager – HSSEQ and Regulatory Compliance
Reports To: Director – Marine Operations/HSSEQ
The Manager HSSEQ and Regulatory Compliance will be responsible for managing all aspects of HSSEQ Assurance and Regulatory Compliance for Excelerate Energy owned and managed vessels and operational assets including preparation of reports and advice for new initiatives. The Manager shall also interface with other departments and provide input providing Excelerate’s Operations Group support, direction, instruction, oversight, and advice with regard to regulatory compliance for all market access points and marine interfaces within Excelerate’s operations envelope.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include but are not limited to the following activities:
During Project Phase
- Serves as lead staff contact with federal, state, and local regulators that have regulatory jurisdiction over the various components of the project
- Develop the Preliminary Regulatory Compliance Plan outlining permits required, details of the information required to support the regulatory compliance and permitting process, schedules/timeline for developing permit applications, and regulatory review and approval
- Clearly identify key issues, constraints, and vulnerabilities early, and develop mitigation plans to prevent negative cost/schedule impacts
- Establish regulatory authority interface strategies that consider negotiations, issues arising from multiple agency jurisdictions, local, regional, and national level requirements
- Establish an interface/communications process with regulatory groups and conduct early discussions with regulators to ensure alignment in understanding and expectations, identify any concerns, and prepare the path to a smooth permit application/approval process
- Stay informed and engaged during the permit review and approval process, and expedite as needed to ensure that permitting does not constrain the project progress or negatively impact the schedule
- Ensure that HSSEQ and regulatory requirements/standards are properly integrated into project design and implementation plans
- Maintain alignment and manage interfaces within the Project Team regarding overall work plans and obligations;
- Organize/participate in weekly and monthly meetings to ensure a common understanding of requirements, deliverables, and status of the work
- Steward ongoing permitting activities and compliance issues to Project Team management
- Identify/develop budgets associated with permitting and other compliance activities, and ensure they are included in the project estimates
- Highlight permitting issues/recommendations to Project Management on a real-time basis for resolution
- Steward the HSSEQ Regulatory Compliance Plan
- Provides ongoing communication to management for permitting progress.
- Manage all third-party contractors performing environmental monitoring and/or testing programs and interface with the Project Team to ensure third parties conducting in commissioning/start-up planning are all ways ready to execute their work scope.
After Project Phase – Managing Day-to-Day HSSEQ:
- Understand company positions on environmental and regulatory issues both locally and broadly and support advocacy with governmental and non-governmental institutions.
- Support the development of annual and long term HSSEQ Improvement Plans
- Support environmental business planning, permitting and (if applicable), environmental impact assessment processes.
- Understand how the SAIL-MS is used to drive environmental protection and regulatory compliance and support the corresponding work processes.
- Understand applicable regulations impacting our business and work to implement cost-effective solutions that ensure compliance.
- Support the development of annual and long term HSSEQ Improvement Plans.
- Maintain HSSEQ and Regulatory Compliance Registers including business risk registers.
- Act as the Environment and Energy Management Representative.
- Provide HSSEQ Advice to stakeholders aligned with best practice and SAIL-MS standards.
- Maintain and develop effective safe work practices through alignment with company objectives and the Company Management System Standards
- Provide training on HSSEQ regulatory and environmental requirements.
- Support the management of HSSEQ assurance systems and programs.
- Identify HSSEQ Leading and Lagging indicators – develop action plans with stakeholders
- Analysis of HSSEQ performance and trends, and interface with Stakeholders to provide insights and develop action plans to help resolve issues.
- Develop HSSEQ quarterly and annual reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Supports Supply Chain Management in the HSSEQ evaluation of Contractors.
- Upon project completion, manage all relevant project HSSEQ permits and certificates and conduct oversight to ensure permits remain valid and non-conformities are reported in a timely manner and investigated to ensure all HSSEQ related permits and certificates remain valid.
- Maintains rapport with regulatory personnel by arranging continuing contact and resolving concerns in a timely manner.
- Coordinates activities of third-party HSSEQ contractors utilized by the Company.
- Ensure defects to environmental critical equipment are reported in a timely manner, investigated and corrective actions are put in place.
- Monitor Environmental Technology developments and where necessary make innovative business proposals to enable continual improvement.
- Recommend HSSEQ improvements to plant operations to ensure overall HSSEQ compliance
Communication and Level of Contacts:
- Interface and direct contact inside and outside the company are necessary to ensure all interested parties are kept informed.
- Must be:
- Comfortable in negotiating with federal, state and local environmental agencies.
- Ability to understand and communicate operational requirements and regulatory compliance of the Company’s assets.
- Conscience of ensuring compliance to ensure all permits are kept current and accurate.
- Timely in reporting permit requirements involving regular coordination with any State, Federal or local personnel.
Qualifications & Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering preferably in Petroleum, Chemical or Environmental. Other degrees will be considered commensurate with work experience.
- HSE qualification such as NEBOSH IGC or NGC is preferred
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Candidates should have experience in EPA environmental permitting, environmental compliance and regulatory affairs.
- Candidates should have experience regarding the HSSEQ field(s) preferably related to maritime or oil and gas industry projects.
- Candidates should have experience in HSSEQ Analytics and HSSEQ program implementation.
- Candidates should have experience in auditing or knowledge of ISO 9001 / ISO 14001 / ISO 45001 / ISM / SIRE / TMSA and MTSA
- Experience and capability to engage at senior levels of government and industry.
- Candidates should have good interpersonal and communication skills