Controller – Belgium
Department: Finance and Accounting
Responsible for performing a variety of activities in Corporate Accounting and Tax for the Belgium entity, analysis/budgeting/planning of financial results. Manage month-end close and reporting activities, including analysis of expense fluctuations and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts. Responsible for compiling data required for annual financial audit. Perform accounting research related to various accounting issues and procedures. Manage tax compliance and reporting requirements with outside tax advisors; handle requests and supply information to tax preparers for quarterly and annual filings.
This individual may be required to provide input to or perform other duties as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Corporate Accounting and Financial Planning & Analysis department to ensure timely and accurate closing and preparation of monthly and annual financial statements, including analysis of balance sheet and related key accounts.
- Responsible for closing activities including month-end journal entries and reconciliations, foreign exchange, operating accruals, and labor capitalization and analysis.
- Responsible for cash management, including bank entries and reconciliations, customer collections, and monthly cash forecasting.
- Coordinate external financial audits or reviews and work with external auditors on the annual audit process, ensuring necessary data is compiled and footnotes prepared in a timely manner.
- Oversee tax compliance and reporting requirements, including the management of data requests for tax preparation.
- Continually review and enhance general accounting processes and procedures.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining internal controls.
- Participate in the development of reports and projects designed to increase efficiencies in management decision making.
- Lead or assist with various finance, accounting, or other special projects as assigned by the Corporate Accounting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting; with two years of Big 4 Accounting or Private Accounting experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software, SAP and database skills.
- Chartered Accountant is required
- Strong General Ledger skills and solid knowledge of VAT GAAP/IFRS for Belgium
- Proficient in MS Excel
- Proven leadership, organizational, communication, and analytical skills
- Experience with foreign currency/exchange rates and international companies is desired
- Experience with preparation of financial statement footnotes is desired
- Knowledge of SAP is a must
- Bilingual in English and Dutch